Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Rust Dyeing

Several artists on the Quiltart list and my friend Susan have done rust dyeing with some really great results. So I asked Jason to find me rusty things in the garage. He graciously accepted this task without asking too many questions. With the first piece, I wrapped the vinegar soaked fabric around very large washers and placed it in a plastic bag.
The second piece I shoved in a large jar and put smaller objects in it. I pushed the fabric and rusty items around with a spoon handle and sealed the jar. I let them both sit for about 24 hours.
I was very happy with my results and wanted to see what would happen if I overdyed. Now not wanting to mix up Procion I used some diluted Jacquard Dye-na-flow on the pink one (this, of course, is Natalie's favorite because it is pink).
The second one I used diluted Tsukineiko ink and it's a little more subtle. Since this one had more prominent rusted images I wasn't really concerned about the color.

I haven't decided what I'm doing with them yet but it should a lot of fun deciding.


No comments: