So what do you do when you can't find or don't like the quality of an available Halloween costume? Well, you make it. Can you guess what she wants to be? She already had the shoes, of course. She started with a pair of pink sparkly shoes which she wore out on the top and bottom, literally. Now, I just need the dog. I found some Toto/basket sets on Amazon but the reviews make me hesitant. We have baskets, so I would rather just find the dog. Stay tuned for further developments.
So, everyone needs a helper when they are changing out the seasonal decorations right? Well, I don't know how helpful she but she's so pretty.
On this the first day of fall, I thought it would be fitting to show my latest creation, a Pumpkin Tablesquare. I call it a tablesquare because it is much smaller then a tablerunner, not quite 24". I used hand-dyed and felted wool on a brushed cotton background. I handstitched with some beautiful hand-dyed Valdani threads and needleturned the corduroy leaves. Finally, I pillowcased the backing. I may do some additional stitching once the next one is backed.
This piece is an original design, although how original can pumpkins be, but I didn't use a pattern. I had wanted something like this and couldn't find anything I like. The creative juices are flowing again thanks to the clean studio, so... It finished very quickly, less then a week, so the second one is already started.
As I was making it I realized it needed to be a gift. My neighbor helps me with Natalie whenever I'm in a pinch, which isn't very often but I still appreciate. So, it has gone to a new home.
At today's Pandora's meeting we partook in fabric painting as scene in the lastest issue of Cloth Paper Scissors. The orange and turquoise pieces are mine. The photo doesn't due the turquoise piece justice. It has great background circles.
Natalie painted for us. She loves her some pink.
Here is Susan painting her cylinder . She was hoping to make a pattern like corn-on-the-cob with a lot of texture.
Here is our supervising critter, Max. He liked being in the center of the action.
I haven't done much creating in the last few months and part of that was because my studio was such a wreck I didn't want to be in it. I'd done some cleaning up but I needed serious help. So Jason offered to help with some permanent features.
This fabric on top is what I'm going to cover my chairs with. I bought it from a LQS when she still carried home dec fabric (which is long since gone). The middle photo is the valence I made for the window. Now on to the big reveal.
The first photo is the before and then the after. Jason put in permanent couter top and wire shelving that is primarily used for closets. There is a high counter and then a lower counter where I can put a second machine.
Again the top is before and then after. Notice my helper on the table.
I didn't do a before of this area, but I can tell you it was very messy. I had very little walking area. You can see it in the above before photo. My machine is in the back and then there is a great stainless steel table (someone was throwing away) that can be used for anything.
Here is the last set of photos. This area was particularly cluttered. Now there is a second stainless table. There is a cube system across from it that I can now get to. This will be a paper area.
I still have some work to do but I am happy to say I can at least get to it and it doesn't make me depressed when I think about going in there. Maybe once the valence is up I'll take some close-ups. I just couldn't contain my excitement any longer!
This is a small piece I completed for a on-line group I'm in, Fast Friday Fabric Challenge. This is the first challenge I've completed on time. I'm so energized.
This is another FFFC piece but from two months back. I got a good run on finishing this but the beadwork slowed me down and I didn't finish it on time but I did finish it.
So, now I'm working on some other WIP pieces. I don't have that "I wanna start something new feeling" and I need to run with that. I'm still cleaning my studio. It was quite a big job but almost done. I can't wait to reveal it. The difference is shocking.
Natalie is enjoying school and I'm enjoying the peace and quiet.
Today was the first day of Pre-K for Natalie. She was so proud because she did her own hair and got herself all ready. She gets to eat lunch at school everyday so hence the lunchbox.
On a lighter note, four hours without Natalie means I can get back to the business of creating. And Jason helped reorganize my studio so I have a better workspace. I'm almost finished cleaning and will post some before/after photos.