Saturday, August 30, 2008
Tuesday, August 26, 2008
She is the from Patti Culea's first book, Creative Cloth Doll Making (as was my first doll -- see May 25, 2008 entry). I only showed her head, as to not ruin the surprise. She needs a little more makeup and I have to finish her hair. The next two photos are of her skirt. The beadwork and ribbon embroidery mimic the design on the fabric I'm using for her pashmina. It was originally going to be a jacket but I'm so proud of her outfit that I hate to cover it up. I'm hoping to have her finished for my next doll club meeting on Sept. 11, so stay tuned for the unveiling.
The second piece I shoved in a large jar and put smaller objects in it. I pushed the fabric and rusty items around with a spoon handle and sealed the jar. I let them both sit for about 24 hours.
I was very happy with my results and wanted to see what would happen if I overdyed. Now not wanting to mix up Procion I used some diluted Jacquard Dye-na-flow on the pink one (this, of course, is Natalie's favorite because it is pink).
The second one I used diluted Tsukineiko ink and it's a little more subtle. Since this one had more prominent rusted images I wasn't really concerned about the color.
I haven't decided what I'm doing with them yet but it should a lot of fun deciding.
Friday, August 22, 2008
And I've gotten some really great photos in the garden. It is amazing what Mother nature has brought us this summer.
Sunday, August 17, 2008
Well, I did. But then it was a while until I finished it because there was just something I wasn't happy with. The three embellished circles were not in the original sketch and that may be what threw me off. I'd appreciate any comments and/or criticism.
Sunday, August 10, 2008
Now, I did mess up the measurements but it all worked out okay. It is supposed to close with snaps but like I said, I messed up, so hook-n-eye it is. It is also supposed to be beaded all the way around. Chalk it up to impatience but also, I know how I am and I didn't want to take the risk of what would happen to the beads on the bottom. I only had one casualty while finishing it and glue-willing, it will hold.
Now I know I talk about my cats too much, but Harley really is a good sport. I was trying to tempt the fat two-some into some sort of activity but Natalie thought it looked better as a scarf. I swear she is going to try to dress him one of these days and depending on his mood he just might let her.
Thursday, August 7, 2008
This morning we found this beautiful specimen on the side of the house. It is a luna moth (info courtesy of http://www.dpughphoto.com/moths.htm) Incomparison of the site photos and my moth, he is missing his tail wings. We had one on the house several weeks ago and I would say it is the same one but the site also says they don't live very long, so it must be another.
This little critter got stuck in the garage. It's a hummingbird.
Friday, August 1, 2008
It's a nice big bag that I'm taking to the Asheville Quilt Show tomorrow. It has plenty of room for my stuff and anything I may buy. And I've made the strap just long enough to wear messenger style.
The highlight of the piece is it's beaded button. I love making these!! This bag also gave me a chance to practice freestyle machine quilting so it was an added benefit.