Saturday, August 30, 2008

Do One Thing Every Day


I found this chart during a trip in Indiana. It was an obscure needlework shop found by accident while heading to a hobby shop. (Obviously this was a trip where either I went and was bored, or stayed behind, alone, and bored.) I ran in, while a car full of men and Natalie waited. I found this in the bargain bin and aside from the whimsical cat, I was drawn to the statement, "Do One Thing Every Day That Makes You Happy." I put it in the "do real soon" bin and set about finding the specialty threads. The whole time I worked on this it made me smile and reminded me of what I'm really all about. I am a creative person. I am an artist. I need art to survive or I am miserable. Literally. If life gets in the way and I can't work on something, I am miserable, even venturing into the witch (with a b) arena.


In my former life I was creative through writing, not because I didn't like art but because I didn't think I was very good at. So, I became a spin doctor if you will. Someone who made the mundane sound exciting, someone who took the bad and made it sound quite refreshing, someone who took a person of questionable character and made him sound like a lovable, ever-so-lucky, down-to-earth everyone will love him kind of guy. I also wrote poetry, still do actually, but not in the same proliferation. It filled a hole in me that I didn't know was there. Until I found quilting.


Now, this little piece is something I can see everyday and remind me of what I am and want to be. I have morphed so to speak in the last few months. I'm venturing out and doing things I'm afraid of and even thinking long term. I feel empowered because every day I do one thing that makes me happy.


Michele

1 comment:

Grace said...

Michelle, I love what you say here and applaud you that you recognize that art is so much a part of you and always will be.

BTW, I really enjoy reading your blog these days and the pic is waaaaaay cool.