Friday, July 11, 2008

Hodge Podge




This is for my Studio Journals class. It is a complimentary color study. I wanted the blue circles to show up better and I wasn't really satisfied with my watercolors earlier in the week, so I got out my watercolor crayons which gave a much richer effect. I would like to try the crayons with the salt technique and another where you use cling wrap for a different effect. I didn't do the fabric/fiber additions because, well, today is Friday and the next lesson is out, so I'll save it for later. That is the great thing about this class. All of her exercises can be used over and over to spark creativity.



Sharon also wanted us to explore the color wheel. One of the ladies shared a photo of a thread wrapped wheel which intrigued me and another showed a sample of one she had stitched years ago from a free pattern, which unfortunately was no longer available. Well, I searched for a stitched color chart and found one for purchase but it won't be finished for the class. Anyway, I was struggling with using the correct colors. I know this sounds silly but if they aren't labeled how do you know. (The ladies from my class know what I'm talking about.) So, I was coloring with Natalie and have some older Crayola's with the right names on them. I figured this was the only way I would be happy. I think it's pretty.


Now for some piffle. This is my latest finish. Sometimes when I can't focus or am stuck on a project I find a small cross-stitch in my stash and I usually finish it within a couple of days. Sometimes I feel better and sometimes, like this time, I find another little one to start. I should just post it here and ask for help but I guess I haven't reached that point yet.






So, it is July in North Carolina and what does Natalie want to wear with her customary dress...tights. Winter tights. We went to the grocery store like this today.













Here she is sitting at the table with me while I worked in my journal and what she was working on. She was also into her watercolors today. It seems only Crayola offers her the vibrance she desires. Anyway, she started to paint her hand and I had her make a handprint to put in my journal. One of the ladies in my class is staying with her daughter and grandchildren, and someone suggested she do this. I thought it was a great idea and as soon as I saw the paint on her hand I knew I had my opportunity. I should put her piece of art in my journal, too.
Michele





1 comment:

Magpie Sue said...

My 3 y/o granddaughter just about won't wear any clothes at all, no matter the temperature or the season! Her mother considers herself fortunate if she can get Miss M into a bathing suit for a trip to the grocery store. :- )